Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Scared.

For once, I am scared in my social work career. Scared to compromise on my ideals and scared of what is to come.

My caseload is 20 now (I usually have 20-22ish), but one of my female colleagues just left and yet another has tendered resignation. With the budget cut, it is highly unlikely that we hire another full time worker. Last heard, we're only going to have a more experienced part time worker to ease the caseload abit. I dunno. I reckon my caseload will hit 30-ish shortly. Unlike other settings, I take care of both the micro and macro aspects of my cases (I work in a childrens' home rem?) and do mostly remedial work. That means I will have 10 more children/youths with emotional /behavioural issues, 10 more families, 10 more school placements/teachers/FTSC and many more external agencies to work with, all in a 44 hr work week or 176 hrs a month. Oh and did I even mention countless more mandatory reports to write and court sessions to attend.

Assuming I have 30 cases to handle in 164 hr (12hrs used up for 3 monthly meetings) per month, a simple calculation would mean I have 5.5 hrs allocated for each case on average. And to further illustrate how much this is worth, refer to the breakdown as follow:

Average Time needed for:

Advisory Board Report: 2-3hrs
Court Report: 3-4hrs
Internal Review Board Report: 1-2 hrs
Pre-counselling preparation (although we are trained, I dunno anyone who is able to have a fruitful session without proper planning, sth which I am guilty of sometimes, sad to say): 1 hr
Individual counselling session (MCYS standard is for each child to be seen at least once a month): 45min-1 hr
Family counselling sessions (we work systemically remember?): 1-1.5hrs
Post-counselling recording (every single contact made has to be recorded): 30min-1hr
School conference (if any): 1-2hrs
Court session (if any) which includes waiting for your turn): 3-4hrs
Home visit, including travelling time (for all new admissions): 2 hrs
Teleconversations and emailing: Varies

And did I just hear you say supervision? What supervision?

I've always pride myself to do the best for my cases and I am comfortable with about 20. I strictly do not do overtime because I firmly believe in self-care and work-life balance. I think that's a basic human/employee right. Else I wouldn't even still be in this profession I guess. Nevertheless, I feel with this amount of caseload, I am able to build good rapport with the children and families, have time to sit down to analyse and assess the cases and intervene apprioprately. With so many more cases to come, I really am not sure anymore. But at the same time, I'm also beginning to see positive changes with some of the families whom I'm working with for the past 1 year or so and it is unbelievably rewarding. SO THAT'S GOOD=) I am beginning to make sense out of what one of my most respected Professor in NUS had once said: It is the positive changes you see in families that gives you the energy to drive you on!

Right now, I'm just scared to compromise on the efforts I put in for each of my cases. The idealistic part of me will never allow for that to happen but maybe in time to come I have to. It's sad, but its the reality. My 'close friend'/colleague R and I are trying to rally each other on, which is great, really. But ultimately, that day will come, unless out of the blue we have the budget to hire an experienced full time worker? Dream on kiddo.

Yeah, economic recession is bad=less business=more jobless/homeless. Its time people begin to realise that in the social service sector, maybe, juuuust maybe, our workload is inversely proportional to the economic situation. Last informed, we got a wage freeze for 2009.

How's that for a good reality check.

2 comments:

  1. hi, this is my 2 singaporean cents worth of thots.

    Analyzing this, i think the fundamental issue is the lack of financial support in this sector which has always been a perennial issue.
    This results in:
    1)Budget constraint to hire enough s/w
    2)Pple leaving this industry.

    And this inevitably stretches s/w who stay on. But how will they survive? With the freeze in wages and also the increment in work load, this will push them to the edge and even worse compromises the level of productive work done. This will further strains them and cause them to be disillusioned with their work as their ultimate aim is not achieved.(ie: Counsel their children and bring enlightenment to them)

    This is basically a chicken and egg issue which i believe the root of the problem is the financial issue. Even the most passionate/enthusiastic person will be strained by these niggling issues which ultimately prevents them to be fully efficient in their tasks.

    The ultimate prob is of cos to have more eggs(ie;bring in the cash and funding) but who is willing to do so? This will be a tough issue which i believe will require authorities to slam the table and bring in more cash for the industry.

    Meanwhile, i would feel that in the short term, its also to keep the chickens healthy and make sure it does not strain itself in laying too many eggs(ie: Perhaps by having regular sessions to have feedback from social workers abt their work or even giving more perks such as increasing no. of days leave) Im sure this will boost their morale and sustain them in the long run..

    Seet..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Fmus1, I totally understand your uncertainty coz this sort of issue is really no stranger to me. Maybe urs is of a bigger magnitude but like how Seet put it, I doubt it would be resolve any time soon given the current economic situation. Whatever it is, just try your best like you always do and at the end of the day, I believe a clear conscience would be a rather gratifying consolation. There are many things which we hav lil say in if not totally no control. I've learnt to let things go a lil and maybe you should as well. Always remember that you are the pillar of hope to many of the families and kids. If you crumble, there would be lil chance for them to stand. I know this could be somewhat pressurizing. I feel it all the time when my students dun do well. In times like this, we have to look at things objectively. Nobody says it's gonna be easy. Like I mentioned earlier, seek solace in the knowledge of having given all you have.

    Fmus2

    ReplyDelete

 
INHERENT Belief in Human Worth - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords