Saturday, July 11, 2009

HUH? Social Workers got study University one ah!?!?

Children and youths I work with often express surprise when I tell them that one has to be a degree holder to be a social worker! Well, I guess there are two ways of seeing this. One, we social workers don't look tooooo smart, at least to them. Or two, social workers are so darn good in building rapport and communicating at their level, that, well, they think we ARE at their level. I would prefer to believe in the latter! haha! 

Which brings me to the next point, how are social workers portrayed to the public (at least in Singapore)?

We grew up reading in books and learning in school what teachers, doctors, nurses, and even astronauts do; we often see on TV lawyers, politicians, fire fighters and businessmen doing their thing; I mean, heck, even police officers and the rag and bone man have more 'airtime' than us along the streets and neighbourhood! Question is, how many people actually have actually met, must less worked with a social worker? For the record, last I heard, there are 600+ social workers in Singapore and that's for a 4 million population! Add to the fact clients whom social workers work with are usually of the lower income and education profile, who is gonna help us publicise the work we do to attract more people into the profession and if I may be more ambitious, as least correctly describe the work we do? I even see in newspaper articles the term 'social workers' being used interchangeably with 'volunteers'! 

So, to all my dear non-social work friends who are reading this blog, what is your impression of a social worker prior to what I have told you?

5 comments:

  1. Everything about Amanda is my impression of a social worker. And that includes not bathing and rolling! hahaa

    -Bingie

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it also includes Amanda having a warm heart and her passion for doing good. =)

    -bingie

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, the first impression of a social worker to me occured during my uni days. When i was fortunate enuff to know 2 social work majors in my YEP. Somehow, they appeared to be in a different class. Not the usual materialistic, superficial and Eat high class potato type of pple. I find them pple who are really sociable, caring and know how to sculpt nice balloons. That impression of them, being in such a noble profession has never changed till now. Fortunately, im glad to have 1 as my gf too.:)

    +Moi Name is Optimus Prime.+

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be frank, I always thought social workers need not be highly educated. As long as they possessed the pre-requisite of having a caring heart and passion to help others, they qualify as a social work. Obviously, my initial impression is flawed. I only come to realise it when I gotta know Amanda aka Fmus1. I guess it's better late than never. One thing is for sure, I've always held social workers in high esteem and that hasn't changed a single bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice one Blackburn. and may i add:

    To have a child/parent appreciate and thank you - uncontrollable tears

    Z

    ReplyDelete

 
INHERENT Belief in Human Worth - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords